News and Events
BIG-Kent Supports “Think Maritime - Broaden Your Horizons?” - 31 October 2013
- BIG-Kent supports the meeting of the Thames and Channel, National Maritime Development Group (NMDG) at Havering College, Essex on 31 October 2013. The Manufacturing Advisory Service (MAS) will be discussing how MAS works to support manufacturers based in England, with a case study on the support given to Premaberg Manufacturing, Essex.
Interim Meeting on Product Development and Manufacturing - 13th November 2013
- The Innovative Product Development Focus Group within the BIG-Kent network led by the UoG will be a hosting an event on the 13th November at the Chatham campus. Topics covered will include Innovative Topics covered will include Innovative product development, Lean Manufacturing, 6 Sigma and Integrated manufacturing.
Meet the Technology Strategy Board – 14th November 2013
- There would be an event in Canterbury Cathedral Lodge involving building SMEs. This event provides an opportunity to talk to the UK's National Innovation Agency about developing and funding new product ideas to future innovation. Please contact us for more details.
Southern Manufacturing Show 2014 - 12th,13th February 2014
- The UK's LARGEST regional manufacturing technology, electronics and subcontracting exhibition is coming up very soon. BIG-Kent would be exhibiting alongside it's network partners notably the University of Greenwich, MJ Allen Group, Circatron, Rastervision for a fourth year in a row.
National Historic Ships breakfast meeting jointly held with NMDG - 30th May.
- The breakfast meeting of the National Maritime Development Group was held on Thursday 30th May at the School of Engineering, University of Greenwich,The Old Royal Naval College, Maritime Greenwich. Guest speakers included Martyn Heighton and Hannah Cunliffe from National Historic Ships UK. The event was successful with more than 35 attendees.
I-MOCCA conference and Industry user group – June
- There was an internal conference for the i-mocca consortium at the University of Greenwich, Medway involving the topics on industrial data communications and embedded systems engineering.
Kent Engineering and Manufacturing Expo – July
- The Manufacturing and Engineering Expo was held at the Historic Chatham Dockyard and the event provided an opportunity for Kent businnesses to showcase their products and services to the public. The University of Greenwich and BIG-Kent were proudly represented at the event.
BIG-Kent established in 2009, is the umbrella network in Kent and Lon/SE LEP area (Kent arm for
www.lsema.org.uk) for Manufacturing, Engineering and Technology sectors. It is a platform for peer-peer learning
and collaborating aimed at private and public sector opportunities, supply chain, funding, partnerships, innovation
and growth. BIG is led by the local Manufacturing industry community and is promoted jointly by the University
of Greenwich at Medway in Kent and the following support organisations that form the Advisory Group.
represent the wider interests of the business community, gauge relevance of activities set-out to promote the BIG
members’ interests and support the activities. For more details please visit www.big-kent.org.uk
University of Greenwich www.gre.ac.uk
National Skills Academy for Manufacturing www.nsa-m.co.uk
Industry Advisory Group
MJ Allen Group www.mjallen.co.uk
Wirebelt Ltd www.wirebelt.co.uk
BAE Systems www.baesystems.com
MEP Ltd www.mep.co.uk
Premier Foods www.premierfoods.co.uk
Circatron Ltd www.circatron.co.uk
Business Support Group
EEF – The manufacturers’ organisation www.eef.org.uk
Manufacturing Advisory Service www.mymas.org
Kent Invicta Chamber of Commerce www.kentinvictachamber.co.uk
Kent Channel Chamber of Commerce www.shepwaybc.co.uk
Institute of Directors, Kent Branch www.iod.com/connecting/local-networks/south/kent
Archant KOS Media www.kentnews.co.uk
Business Week www.businessforkent.co.uk
The Bridge Nucleus www.nucleus-dartford.co.uk
Medway Innovation Centre www.innovationcentremedway.co.uk
Enterprise Europe Network South East www.enterpriseeurope-se.eu
National Maritime Development Group Join Group on LinkedIn
Business improvement by collaborative R&D and commercial partnering.
Mutual growth through business innovation.
Public sector opportunities and funding.
Strengthening the regional supply chain network.
Establishing shared innovation, R&D resources and infrastructure.
Business innovation seminars, workshops on industry issues.
Establishing partnership working frameworks and thematic project consortiums.
Embedding new knowledge and innovation into industry, particularly SMEs.
Focus groups, peer to peer learning and collaborative working.
Leveraging UK/EU public sector funding for innovation projects.
Commercial partnering/brokerage and meet the buyer events; cross-selling exhibitions.